Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Sept 12 - On Becoming a Reflective Teacher


 My initial thoughts as I finished reading this article were that this is some great information and very helpful advice as my goal is to in fact become a reflective teacher. I identify and agree with the qualities that Grant and Zeichner use to describe a reflective teacher. My primary reason that pushed me to pursue the teaching profession is my own personal experience with math teachers. My relationship with my elementary school teacher in India was non existent. It bothered me that she didn't put in any effort or reflect with the class on what she taught and my experience with my after school teacher was an abusive one. I am doing this program and aiming to be a teacher to not be like those teachers and I think reflecting and thinking about my actions is a great way to achieve that goal.

Grant and Zeichner bring up interesting points about "Wholeheartedness". While I do agree that a good teacher is reflective not only when it is convenient for them, but at all times, I also think that there needs to be room for a teacher to have their own boundaries to preserve their mental well being. I think if a school or a classroom is not working out for a teacher even after putting in all the effort that she is capable of, she should be free to explore other options. Maybe someone else can do that job better than her and do the students justice!

I personally really found the "How To Begin" section very enlightening. I am at the stage of this program where I am thinking about my practicum more intensively and I'm starting to have dreams about it, for better or for worse. So, I appreciated and double underlined all the advice given in this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

 Going back and re-reading my blog posts from September was a fascinating and reflective experience. From the beginning of this program, I’v...