Thursday, September 5, 2024

Exit Slip - September 05

Today's class left me feeling very motivated and yet introspective. While we were watching the video on Frank McCourt's journey in education, I felt inspired by him to make similar changes in my future students' lives as he did, to be able to roll with the punches that teenagers, no doubt, will throw my way. I was able to relate to him when he implied that teaching was his spiritual calling. There is nothing like teaching a student and witnessing their "Aha!" moments.

A segment of the video that made me pause and nod my head in agreement was when Frank said that he was "ill educated but well read" - this is what Frank was always able to count on and while I believe Frank's admission to the School of Education at NYU was very well deserved and justified with one year of probation and of course, the amazing work that he went on to do, something like this would never happen in today's time. Thinking about all the people that would go on to become great educators had they simply been given a chance like Frank makes me feel unsettled. Today, we are quite possibly leaving educators like Frank behind and I do not believe that is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

 Going back and re-reading my blog posts from September was a fascinating and reflective experience. From the beginning of this program, I’v...