Today's class was our last class in the garden as the coming months will be very cold. We started the class by writing a mathematical thank you letter to an entity of our choice in the garden.While I do not want to share my letter, I can write here my thoughts that inspired the letter. I look at everything in nature and I am reminded of fibonacci/hemachandra numbers and the golden ratio. I look at how perfect nature is and I wonder what makes nature so perfect when it is wild and unkempt too. This made me think of the beauty standards us humans are victims of and if leaves and flowers think we are not so smart for adhering to those standards because we too are perfect as we are.
During the second part of the class, Madison and I did some work with body measurements. We found some rope in the shed and verified our own and our classmates' correlation between wingspan and height. We were quite amazed to find that wingspan is almost the same as height with a margin of error of only 2-3 inches. We also learned how to measure using our palms. My palm is 6.5 inches and knowing this, I can measure things in my day to day life using this fact!
No comments:
Post a Comment