Thursday, September 19, 2024

Sept 19: Thinking about Teaching and Learning Gardens

 In my experience as a student, outside classrooms were not part of my education journey because there was stigma around learning in a garden - How can serious leaning happen outside a traditional classroom? Now I feel fortunate to be living in Vancouver, where there so much beauty in every direction you look and I like the idea of incorporating that in my classroom. 

When I think of teaching and learning gardens, my brain automatically connects them to indigenous ways of teaching and learning. I am not completely sure if western education also has elements that connect to outdoor classrooms - I would love to find out. My hope is also to learn more about indigenous perspectives so that I can incorporate them into my classroom as well. But considering an outdoor space by itself, I think it is such a different environment than a classroom and just the lack of walls, in my experience, encourages students to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

 Going back and re-reading my blog posts from September was a fascinating and reflective experience. From the beginning of this program, I’v...